–Call for Proposals–
[button style=”btn-info” size=”btn-md” label=”Download PDF” icon=”fa-star” link=”http://newamericancolleges.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SI-2018-Call-for-ProposalsRevised.pdf”]
NEW AMERICAN COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
2018 SUMMER INSTITUTE
PACIFIC LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY
JUNE 19-21, 2018
Engaging Civility: Leading Dialogue In and Beyond the University
The NAC&U Summer Institute 2018 will focus on fostering skills to improve civic engagement, with particular emphasis on the role of civil dialogue. The need for an engaged campus community crosses disciplinary and geographic borders. This boundary crossing reflects NAC&U’s commitment to the integration of professional studies and the liberal arts within the context of purposeful civic engagement, and places that commitment within a frame of purposeful civic engagement.
Presentations may describe existing tools/strategies/approaches useful for leading dialogue, or they may engage conference participants in working sessions to develop new projects at their home institutions.
Three questions frame our work over the course of this Institute:
- Which campus and community concerns require our institution’s leadership in facilitating dialogue?
- Which strategies can our institution draw from in order to facilitate effective dialogue around these concerns?
- How can dialogue at our institution include voices and perspectives that are often missing?
Session proposals may be framed broadly to engage discussion and possibility. Some examples include:
- Efforts that have worked successfully at your institution to promote civil dialogue and civic engagement, including the types of campus and community concerns that prevail such dialogue.
- Tools/strategies/approaches your institution has successfully used for promoting engagement and dialogue, both on and off campus, and at the intersections of these locations.
- Strategies your institution has used to incorporate staff and faculty into leading dialogue.
- New projects in development at your institution that you would like to workshop at the institute.
- Discussion of the risks of leading dialogue for institutional reputation, including internal issues/fractures.
To submit a session proposal, please read instructions below and then complete this form.
Before completing the proposal submission form, please have ready the following information:
- Contact Information for the Main Presenter
- Title of Presentation
- 15 words max
- Please be creative and descriptive.
- 250 word limit
- Please give a clear sense of the topic and outcomes of the session.
- Please clearly state how your session meets at least one of the break-out session goals:
- To engage the NAC&U community in a discussion about promoting civil dialogue, or
- To provide attendees with take away strategies they can put into practice
Sessions will be 60 minutes long.
Rooms will be equipped with a laptop, projector and screen with audio and Internet connection.
Please complete the submission form by Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.
Please contact Michelle Apuzzio at email@example.com with any questions.
We will notify all presenters by March 1, 2018.